Day: July 23, 2017

694940094001_5518445022001_5518448777001-vs.jpg

Shooting at Israeli Embassy in Jordan kills at least 2 – Amid flaring tensions, Israel installs cameras at holy site


Two Jordanians were shot to death and an Israeli citizen was wounded Sunday evening at the Israeli Embassy in Jordan, news agencies including Sky News reported. 

The shooting unfolded in an apartment building at the embassy, in the upscale Rabiyeh neighborhood in Amman. Jordanians had entered the building for carpentry work, security officials said.

One of the Jordanians killed was a physician at the scene, the officials added.

The Israeli man was said to be in an “unstable” condition, according to reporting from the news site Hala Akhbar, linked to the Jordanian military. 

No further details were provided. Israel’s Foreign Ministry had no immediate comment.

The incident comes at a time of mounting tensions between Israel and the Muslim world over metal detectors Israel installed at a Jerusalem shrine revered by Muslims and Jews.

Jordan is the Muslim custodian of the site. On Friday, thousands of Jordanians staged an anti-Israeli protest in Amman.

Click for more from Sky News.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 



Source link

1500816048790.jpg

Papaya salmonella outbreak kills 1, infects 46 others – Hiker contracts flesh-eating bacteria through blisters


A person in New York City died after contracting salmonella from eating fresh papaya, an outbreak that has infected 46 other people in 12 states, federal health officials announced on Friday. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the salmonella outbreak was linked to Caribena brand yellow Maradol papayas from Mexico that are sold in states including New York, New Jersey, Utah and Kentucky. The papayas are distributed by Grande Produce in San Juan, Texas. Of the 47 cases reported, at least 12 people were hospitalized. 

No other brands have been named in the outbreak. 

Federal health officials were notified of the outbreak after cases were reported between May 17 and June 28. People between the ages of 1 and 97 were sickened after eating the fruit, the CDC reported. 

Officials are urging restaurants and consumers to toss the fruit if they purchased it — despite if it’s a yellow or green papaya. 

“When in doubt, don’t eat, sell, or serve them and throw them out,” the CDC said. 

The number of salmonella cases is expected to increase to include people who were sickened after June 23, but did not show symptoms until later. Several people also fell ill after eating papayas bought from the same grocery store in Maryland. 

Salmonella outbreak linked to papayas have occurred before. In 2011, 97 people in 23 states were sickened after contracting salmonella from eating papayas. 

About 1.2 million people are infected with salmonella in the U.S. each year, according to the CDC. 



Source link

694940094001_5518444977001_5518442681001-vs.jpg

Florida man to face charges after bodies found in truck at San Antonio Walmart – VIDEO: Report: 30 people rescued from trailer where 8 people died – 3 people found in car's trunk during immigration inspection


A man from Florida is expected to face charges in connection to what police called a horrific human trafficking case — several men found dead inside a sweltering 18-wheeler parked outside a San Antonio Walmart early Sunday.

James Mathew Bradley Jr., 60, from Clearwater, Florida, was taken into custody and is due in court Monday, U.S. Attorney Richard Durbin Jr. said. He did not say whether Bradley was the driver of the truck, although investigators said earlier that the driver was in custody.

Eight men were found dead in the truck and one man died later at the hospital, according to Liz Johnson, a spokeswoman for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE had announced 10 were dead before revising the number to nine.

A total of 39 people had been inside the tractor-trailer, including at least four teenagers, Fox 29 reported. Paramedics rushed as many as 20 people to hospitals in critical condition, with others facing “less critical” injuries.

“We’re looking at human trafficking crime here this evening,” Police Chief William McManus said, adding that it was “a horrific tragedy.”

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is also looking into the incident.

A store employee first alerted police after being approached by someone from the truck who was asking for water. The vehicle did not have a working air conditioning system when it was found, authorities said.

“They were very hot to the touch. So these people were in this trailer without any signs of any type of water,” San Antonio Fire Chief Charles Hood said in a news conference. “It was a mass casualty situation for us.”

The National Weather Service said the temperature in San Antonio hit 101 degrees just before 5 p.m. Saturday and didn’t dip below 90 degrees until after 10 p.m.

According to police, surveillance video from the store showed “a number of vehicles” picking up people who survived the trip that were inside the trailer. Some people bolted into the woods, prompting police to search the area in the morning. 

The origin of the truck is still unknown. Investigators gathered evidence from the truck on Sunday, which had an Iowa license plate but no other markings. 

Thomas Homan, the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement acting director, said in a statement: “By any standard, the horrific crime uncovered last night ranks as a stark reminder of why human smuggling networks must be pursued, caught and punished.”

Click here for more from Fox 29.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 



Source link

1500836638756.jpg

American student stuck in China jail for days is freed, family says


Chinese authorities have dropped charges against an American college student who was arrested and detained in the Asian nation a week ago after reportedly injuring a taxi driver who was roughing up his mother in a fare dispute, a U.S. lawmaker said Sunday.

Guthrie McLean, a University of Montana senior, was released from a detention center in the central China city of Zhengzhou early Monday local time, according to Republican Sen. Steve Daines of Montana.

“Prayer’s answered. Guthrie’s home,” the 25-year-old student’s mother, Jennifer McLean, wrote in an email to Daines’ office.

Jennifer McLean confirmed her son’s release in an email to The Associated Press. She provided no further information.

Jennifer McLean has been teaching in Zhengzhou, where her son was visiting her this summer.

His release followed days of negotiations between U.S. officials and Chinese authorities. Details on the deal that led to Guthrie McLean’s release were not immediately disclosed.

Daines and U.S. Sen. Jon Tester, a Montana Democrat, had argued McLean’s detention was unjustified because he was defending his mother, who is deaf, when he reportedly pushed the taxi driver to the ground during a June 10 altercation in Zhengzhou.

The college student majoring in East Asian studies was detained five weeks later, on July 16, on charges of intentional injury.

Jennifer McLean had alleged that police demanded the equivalent of $7,400 in compensation from the family and threatened to imprison her son for up to three years if they refused to pay.

Daines said the family did not pay that amount, but he declined to comment further.

DEFECTORS, GOOGLE EARTH MAP NORTH KOREA HORRORS

“We were able to come to an agreement that worked for everybody, most importantly for Guthrie and for Jennifer, his mother,” Daines said in a conference call with reporters.

Local police in China have declined to comment on the case.

NORTH KOREA EXPERIENCING WORST DROUGHT IN 16 YEARS, U.N. AGENCY REPORTS

Guthrie McLean has been a student at the University of Montana in Missoula for about two years and worked for the past year in the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and Literatures, his boss, Olivia White, has said.

He largely grew up in China after living in Missoula as a young child while his mother was studying at the university, White said.



Source link

Bodybuilder happier these days


Jolene Jones, a former body builder from Kalispell, Mont., was on a very strict diet plan when she was training for competitions.

“No alcohol, no beef, no wheat, no sugar and no dairy,” She told Us Weekly. “I would have chicken with broccoli for lunch every day and it go to the point where I would gag and have to chug water to get it down.”

BODY TRANSFORMATION PHOTO PROVES YOU NEED TO EAT MORE, NOT STARVE YOURSELF

These lunches would lead up to a demanding two-hour workout that would end leaving her feeling completely exhausted.

For her first show in 2015, Jones, standing at 5’8”, lost over 20 pounds. Leading up to her next competition her coach wanted her to shed yet another 30 pounds from her already thin frame.

This was the tipping point for Jones.

“I was like, ‘Why am I doing this if I hate it so much? What am I trying to prove?’” Jones told the magazine.

Jones then did something that truly made her a much happier person; she put on 25 pounds and restarted her social life.

“Body builder to body lover,” her Facebook post reads. “A six pack didn’t make me happy. I was never enough and always needing to improve. Today I went rafting with friends and enjoyed the food the old me would have drooled over and wouldn’t have dare to touch.”

THIS WOMAN’S BODY TRANSFORMATION WILL HAVE YOU RETHINKING YOUR NEXT DIET

This post racked up a massive 140,000 likes and over 45,000 shares on Facebook — with 11,000 comments supporting her life changing decision.

Jones ends her post with, “My worth is weighed by those I surround myself with and the smile on my face. #bodylover.”



Source link

1500835112134.jpg

She lost 99 lbs. with no diet


A 23-year-old who lost 99 pounds has confessed she hates diets and revealed how she really shed the weight.

About two years ago, Chloe Longstaff’s brother was engaged to be married and she was a bridesmaid, but had a shocking wake-up call when she struggled to fit into her dress.

She then decided to transform herself from a fast food addict to a health junkie.

Before losing weight, she gorged on packs of biscuits, blocks of chocolate and bags of chips, eating it all in just one sitting.

She weighed more than 220 pounds and was just 5 feet 3 inches tall, and bingeing was to blame for the weight she gained during her teenage years.

She’s now dropped to almost 139 pounds but admits it hasn’t been easy.

CROSSFIT TEAM HELPS WOMAN WITH A RARE DISEASE COMPLETE LIFE GOAL

“Even in the early stages of weight loss I had episodes of binges, often when I would be having a ‘cheat night’,” she wrote on her weight loss blog.

“For example I would have a pizza for my cheat meal, sometimes with a side of fries and garlic bread, but then I would ‘need’ something sweet afterwards so would often have a bar of sharing chocolate then raid the cupboards because I thought ‘I’ve started eating now I may as well continue’.”

Longstaff, a marketing executive from England, said she dropped her weight naturally, and her secret weapon was she never once followed a diet.

Writing on her blog, she said she did not have weight loss surgery or take magic pills and shortcuts

“I have lost all of my weight by following a healthy balanced lifestyle consisting of lots of healthy food and plenty of exercise,” she said.

“I count calories and log all of my meals in a food diary to ensure I am in a calorie deficit over the week, meaning that I make sure to burn more calories than I consume, allowing my body to be burning fat resulting in weight loss.”

Longstaff said when she began losing weight, she put herself in a healthy mindset. Even when she weighed more than 242 pounds she said she believed in herself.

“Having self-belief makes you far more likely to stick to your plan and achieve your goal,” she said.

“Additionally, having the ability to pick yourself up after a bad day is important, as an emotional eater myself, I understand the temptation of going home after a bad day to binge eat in order to feel better, however this is a temporary solution with both mental and physical damages in the long term.

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

“This journey was not easy so I won’t position it as all fun and smiles.

“I have faced many challenges, had several setbacks, laughed and cried.”

This article originally appeared on News.com.au



Source link

694940094001_5430234322001_Kelly-Ripa-Ryan-Seacrest-already-at-odds.jpg

Seacrest: The rumors are true


Ryan Seacrest is returning to the show that made him a household name. The TV personality will be joining the reboot of the hit series, “American Idol.”

As soon as the reboot was announced, rumors began to fly if the newly minted “Live with Kelly and Ryan!” star would sign up for the highly coveted gig.

Ripa revealed Thursday on their show that the man with a million jobs would be adding more to his roster.

“I am happy to confirm, I can confirm with absolute confirmation,” said Ripa.

While Seacrest chimed in, “Absolutely without a doubt.”

“That Ryan Seacrest is returning [as] the host of ‘American Idol,'”revealed Ripa.

After the thunderous cheers from the live audience died down, Seacrest addressed his decision to return.

KELLY RIPA, RYAN SEACREST ALREADY ON SHAKY GROUND?

“I don’t know if you’ve ever been in a 15 year relationship and then for a reason you really don’t know you break up, and I thought ‘gosh it’d be great to get back together at some point,’” explained Seacrest.

Ripa responded, “You make that show. You are the heart and soul. People really don’t understand how difficult it is to be there, be supportive, keep the show moving at the clip that it moves and then back away when you need to back away…and step away when you need to step [away]…because you make it look so easy, no one understands how difficult it is. Only you can do it.”

Seacrest is “excited” for his “Idol” return on ABC. He joins castmember Katy Perry who will serve as a judge, and will be making $25 million for her stint.



Source link

Texas man ordered to pay $65G in child support for kid that isn't his


A Texas man is battling a court order that mandates he must pay tens of thousands in child support for a child that he did not biologically father and  who he met only once.

In 2003, a child support court in Texas ruled that Gabriel Cornejo, 45, had to pay child support to his ex-girlfriend who had recently given birth because she vowed that there was no way he wasn’t the rightful dad.

Cornejo, who is currently raising three children of his own and two nephews, claimed that he was not made aware of this and only found out about the child support payments last year when a deputy served him court papers claiming that the state of Texas lists him as having another child. He soon met the minor for the first and only time – describing her as a “wonderful girl” – but after taking a DNA test, learned she was not his after all.

Only Cornejo’s ex-girlfriend and the state still want the $65,000 in back payments.

“I never thought in my whole life I would have to defend myself of something that I am innocent of,” he said.

Texas’ family code, chapter 161, states that even if one is not the biological father, they still owe support payments that accrued before the paternity test proves otherwise. In Cornejo’s case, that amounts to some $65,000.

TEACHERS UNION NOT BACKING BILL NIXING TEACHER-STUDENT SEX

TENNESSEE JUDGE RULES GAY COUPLES HAVE EQUAL PARENTAL RIGHTS

His ex-girlfriend’s attorney, Carel Stith, claimed that money was taken out of Cornejo’s paycheck several years ago and he didn’t contest it, and that in itself can satisfy a court argument that he should have handled the matter long ago.

“There can be consequences, even if you don’t do anything,” Stith told local news.

Cornejo and his attorney, Cheryl Coleman, must now persuade a judge to re-open the case – as the original court order cannot be amended. If that doesn’t happen, he must pay up or face time behind bars.

The case is due back in court next month.  



Source link

1500837493206.jpg

Georgia man arrested after driving 112 mph 'for Snapchat' – Four injured after golf cart strikes pedestrians at Indianapolis Motor Speedway


A Georgia man was arrested Tuesday after he was driving 112 miles per hour. He told police he was speeding while using the video-sharing app Snapchat.

Malon B. Neal, 24, was charged with speeding, reckless driving and using wireless communications while driving after an officer shooting radar saw Neal’s 2015 black Dodge Charger change lanes and accelerate, according to local reports.

Neal’s car has been towed and he was released from custody.

DRIVER WHO CRASHED AT 157 MPH DODGES JAIL 

The driver told police he was going home after hanging out with a friend, adding that he was driving that fast “for Snapchat,” reports AJC.com

The popular social media app features a filter than can measure how fast a person is moving after taking a photo or video.

Neal faces a fine of up to $1,000 if convicted of reckless driving; he could also have his license suspended. 

 



Source link

1500826752661.jpg

Video shows patron take on robber at California Starbucks


California police released video showing a Starbucks patron struggling with a would-be robber in a Transformers mask who tried to stage a hold-up with a knife and toy gun.

Police credited Cregg Jerri, 58, with thwarting the robbery at a Fresno Starbucks Thursday.  

“There’s probably not very many people in America who would do what Cregg Jerri did last night,” Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said Friday, according to KSEE-TV. “It was incredibly heroic and the way most people would think that they would respond but may not have the courage to respond.”

Police said the man in the Transformer mask was 30-year-old Ryan Flores.

The video begins with Flores announcing a robbery. He shows the gun to a barista and then the knife.

Next, Jerri is seen sneaking up from behind and bashing Flores over the head with a chair.

The video then shows Jerri fighting Flores and eventually wrestling him to the ground.

As they struggled, Jerri realized the gun in Flores’ hand wasn’t real when the weapon struck the floor, KMJ-Radio reported.

Police said Jerri was stabbed in the neck as he tried to grab the knife from Flores.

They said when Jerri took the knife away, he stabbed Flores several times.

Both were treated at a hospital.

“It’s not something we recommend,” Dyer said of Jerri’s actions, according to KFSN-TV. “In this case it was a good outcome — no one died as a result of this incident, but very well could have. But nonetheless, he’s a hero — there’s no question.”



Source link