Day: June 27, 2017

694940094001_5483598405001_5483596368001-vs.jpg

Supreme Court travel ban: Flood of lawsuits expected from ruling


While there probably won’t be the same level of chaos that ensued after the first travel ban was issued, immigration attorneys expect a flood of lawsuits to erupt out of the Supreme Court ruling that reinstated much of President Trump’s Executive Order to restrict travel from six mostly Muslim nations.

People who do not have a verifiable relationship with individuals or entities, such as companies, in the United States after June 26, 2017, will “likely” be prevented from entering the country. Tourists from Sudan, Somalia, Yemen, Iran, Libya and Syria may also be barred admission.

There were just 110,365 tourists from those six countries last year, according to State Department data.

“Generally, there are relatively few individuals from the ban countries who are issued visitor visas,” said immigration attorney Matthew Kolken. “It is exceptionally difficult to prove that they will return to a country where there is civil unrest, or where their lives are in danger.”

SUPREME COURT DECISION SHIFTS MOMENTUM IN TRUMP TRAVEL BAN CASE

The Supreme Court’s ruling affects “refugees who lack any” connection to the U.S. That means that a visitor from the six countries who cannot demonstrate “a bona fide relationship” with individuals or entities in the United States after June 26, 2017, will likely be precluded from entering the country.

“Tourists may also be barred from admission if they don’t have any established links to the country,” said Kolken.

“I see nothing in the Court’s order which would preclude connections to the U.S. from being developed going forward as long as they are not developed for the purpose of avoiding the travel ban,” said David Leopold, former president of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

It could be fertile ground for legal debate if refugees begin creating connections with people in the U.S. now, and somehow avoid the appearance of trying to avoid the key part of the ruling. “My guess is the Trump Administration will take the narrowest possible view and try to exclude as many people as possible under the narrow stay,” said Leopold.

Advocates for limited immigration say the Executive Order should be fully implemented.

“The Supreme Court’s decision, while helpful to some degree,” said Andrew Arthur of the Center for Immigration Studies, “will lead to significant litigation from individuals who claim they have the requisite relationship to be admitted, until the Court issues its final ruling.”

The State Department told Fox News that it is awaiting a determination from the Department of Justice on how to define a bona fide relationship, and also how to implement the policy once its defined. State officials are in consultation with the DOJ on the bona fide relationship policy.

Immigrant rights groups raised the possibility that the ruling may have a deleterious effect on professionals trying to move between countries, such as a doctor from Iran hired by a U.S. company. Once again, it may depend on the timing of the relationship. “Physicians from Iran with a (current) job offer from a U.S. hospital will likely be issued a visa absent any other security concern,” said Kolken.

“If there was a relationship in the past, but no likelihood of a future relationship, the doctor will likely be excluded” from entering the U.S., added Arthur.

TRUMP TRAVEL BAN: SUPREME COURT REINSTATES KEY PARTS OF EXECUTIVE ORDER

“We handle many foreign physicians, researchers, IT professionals and others who qualify for professional and extraordinary ability visas,” said Leopold. “Most, if not all, have a bona fide relationship with a U.S. employer and therefore should not be affected.”

But Leopold still has harsh criticism for the Trump Administration’s immigration policies. “This Administration’s purpose is to disrupt and slow-walk the visa process. The anti-immigrant extremists setting Trump Administration policy are aiming at putting a huge ‘Closed for Business’ sign on the Statue of Liberty. These policies will hurt and cost America dearly.”

But Arthur pointed out that the travel ban was always intended to be temporary. “The Administration is attempting to catch its breath, determine what we don’t know and determine what additional requirements we need to put in place to make sure individuals who pose a danger to the U.S. won’t be able to get in.”

The strategy may be working in some countries. Fox News has reported that the new U.S.-leaning Somali government has taken steps to beef up its vetting of prospective émigrés. U.S. Ambassador to Somalia Stephen Schwartz told Fox News that the country’s president was receptive to new vetting requirements, like biometric identification and even taking in deported Somalis, which has increased under the Trump Administration.

“Given the unsettled history of Somalia, the government can attempt to reconstruct the institutions that would have existed, such as registries, in order to help us verify visas for Somalis seeking to come to the United States,” said Arthur. Due to Somalia’s long-running civil war, and no central government, most of the country’s residents don’t even have valid birth certificates.

Meanwhile Kolken, whose firm helps foreigners gain legal entry to the U.S., has said that the Trump Administration treats refugee children better than the prior Administration.

“President Trump deprioritized the deportation of refugee children from Central America that were at the top of the list under President Obama,” said Kolken.



Source link

1498600493316.jpg

Ex-Clinton campaign chair Podesta meets with lawmakers investigating Russia


John Podesta, the former chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, met Tuesday behind closed doors with lawmakers investigating Russian actions during last year’s presidential campaign.

Podesta spoke to members of the House intelligence committee, which is leading one of several investigations into alleged connections between Moscow and members of President Trump’s campaign.

During the height of the campaign, several thousand emails from Podesta’s personal account were stolen and published on Wikileaks. The website, which CIA Director Mike Pompeo recently described as a ‘hostile intelligence service’ abetted by Russia, also published hacked emails from computers belonging to the Democratic National Committee.

Podesta told reporters after the meeting that he was “happy to cooperate with the committee in their investigation of Russian interference with the democratic process in the United States.”

Podesta also defended the Obama administration’s response, saying that they were “dealing with an unprecedented … weaponization of the fruits of Russian cyber activity, and I think they were trying to make the best judgments they could on behalf of the American people.”

When asked if he planned to come back to Capitol Hill to discuss the hacking, Podesta told reporters, “I hope not.”



Source link

1498568484705.jpg

Body found in 'out of order' Walmart bathroom in Okla.


Employees at an Oklahoma Walmart found a body locked in a bathroom on Monday after assuming the restroom was out of order for days, police said. 

The body of a woman was discovered in the family bathroom at the store in Sand Springs, Fox 23 reported. It’s unclear how long the body was in the restroom, but employees assumed it was “out of order” and placed a sign on the door before the weekend. 

LIVE LOBSTER FOUND IN LUGGAGE AT BOSTON AIRPORT

Maintenance employees unlocked the door two days later and found the woman inside. 

Police said preliminary investigation showed no signs of foul play, leading them to believe she died of natural causes. 

Click here for more from Fox 23. 



Source link

1498591084471.jpg

This paperclip costs how much?


The fashion industry is known for its bizarre and often questionable trends, like that time Nordstrom was selling jeans with mud on them. But the latest designer item to confuse the internet has got to be one of the strangest.

You can now buy a “luxe” Prada paperclip from Barney’s New York. The sterling silver money clip goes for $185, which unsurprisingly has prompted a variety of Twitter reactions. 

FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK FOR MORE FOX LIFESTYLE NEWS

Prada isn’t the first designer to turn an ordinary item into a high-end fashion piece. First there was Balenciaga’s Ikea-bag knockoff, which sold for $2,145, then most recently it started selling an $1,100 shopping bag that looks like the kind you get free with purchase.



Source link

694940094001_4807104214001_ONE.jpg

Alison Brie's nudist past


According to Alison Brie, she had to do more than just practice killer moves as a 1980s pro wrestler for the Netflix comedy “GLOW.” The actress also trained to get naked to appear in the show’s very first episode.

“I definitely did some push-ups and sit-ups in my room to pump up the right muscles beforehand,” the 34-year-old told Playboy. “I’ve passed on a lot of projects that had nudity, but I was obsessed with getting ‘GLOW.’ Nudity is a part of the show, and I had no hesitation. I love the character. I understood why they wanted it.

“Getting naked on camera is like ripping off a Band-Aid. The hardest part is the transition from being in your robe to being naked on set. Once I was naked, it kind of reminded me of my nudist days from college and that feeling of, ‘Oh yeah, I love my body and this is fun and silly and its fine.’”

Brie, the daughter of reformed hippies, studied at California Institute of the Arts, which she described as “sort of clothing optional” during her time there. Brie previously told Conan O’Brien in 2012 the cafeteria was the only place where students were required to wear clothes.

“I don’t know what it’s like now; even in the four years I was there, they had started to crack down,” she admitted to Playboy. “My freshman year, the Erotic Ball was still happening. Everybody was in different states of undress. There were tents with TVs playing pornography.

“And I seem to remember a live sex performance. Mostly it was a lot of lingerie and body paint. I wore this Victoria’s Secret thing with a little black thong under a black lace long-sleeved mini-dress. It was see-through lace — you could see the panties — but also long sleeved because, you know, I’m very demure.”

But over the years, many fans took note of Brie’s body. She is aware there’s a Tumblr account dedicated to her breasts.

“There’s a fascination I can’t really explain,” she said. “My mom was the first one to point that out early in my ‘Community’ days. She was like, ‘I was reading a bunch of message boards, and people seem very fascinated by your boobs. I don’t know why. They’re not that big.’ I was like, ‘Mom, I have great boobs. How dare you?’ It’s humorous to me that people have a fixation with my boobs.”

“GLOW” is currently streaming on Netflix.



Source link

1498576987402.jpg

Philippines hostages forced to fight, become sex slaves, army says


Civilians held captive by Islamist fighters occupying a Philippines city are being forced to fight government troops and serve as sex slaves, the country’s army revealed Tuesday, citing witnesses who have escaped the brutal fighting.

“This is what is happening inside, this is very evident,” military spokesman Jo-Ar Herrera told reporters when describing scenes inside the southern Marawi City, Reuters reported.

Herrera said some hostages were forced to marry militants from the Maute group, which is loyal to ISIS. He added that others were ordered to convert to Islam and ferry wounded fighters to mosques throughout the city, according to accounts of seven residents who managed to flee the area.

NORTH CAROLINA MAN WHO PLOTTED ATTACK FOR ISIS IS SENTENCED

The accounts could not be verified by Reuters. Philippines’ military has been trying to clear the city for five weeks, exchanging gunfire with rebels using sniper rifles and grenades.

The clashes have left bodies stranded in the streets – some for weeks — amid the rubble, Reuters reported.

The country’s government estimates that 70 soldiers, 27 civilians and 290 militants have been killed in the conflict.

Click for more from Reuters.



Source link

steinle_1.jpg

Ryan: House will vote on 'Kate's Law' this week – Supreme Court decision shifts momentum in Trump travel ban case – Judge blocks deportation of more than 1,400 Iraqis



LISTEN: CNN’s Acosta Confronts Spicer Over Off-Camera Briefing

Republicans to Ginsburg: ‘You Are Bound by Law to Recuse Yourself’ 


The House is expected to vote this week on Kate’s Law, which would impose mandatory minimum prison sentences on criminal aliens who re-enter the United States after deportation.

The House is also slated to vote on the “No Sanctuary for Criminals Act,” which defunds so-called “sanctuary cities” if they do not cooperate with ICE officials.


‘Fake News Network’: Trump Blasts CNN for Retracted Russia Story

‘Jeff, Do You Even Care?’: Hannity Blasts CNN President for Anti-Trump Bias


 

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) said on “Fox & Friends” this morning that the Trump-Russia coverage is drowning out what’s being accomplished by Republicans. 

He noted that on the day James Comey testified before the Senate, the House repealed and replaced the Dodd-Frank Wall Street reform.  

“This week we’re doing medical liability reform and we’re doing two immigration bills: Kate’s Law and sanctuary cities,” said Ryan. 

“Kate’s Law” was named for Kate Steinle, a young woman who was shot to death in San Francisco by an illegal immigrant who had already been deported multiple times.

Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), chairman of the Judiciary Committee, was asked this morning why this law hasn’t been passed already. 

He noted that the bill has “enormous public support” and expressed hope that the Senate will move the bill to President Trump. 

Watch the “America’s Newsroom” interview above.


Colbert Issues Apology to Trump: ‘I’m Sorry You’re President’

Report: Pro-Clinton Group Behind Russian Dossier on Trump

Levin: ‘Now We Have Collusion – Democrats Should Be Excited’




Source link

1498571926320.jpg

ISIS video shows kids as young as 8 executing prisoners


A chilling new ISIS execution video shows brainwashed children as young as 8 being forced to shoot prisoners in the head.

Footage shows the two boys, both dressed in black and armed with handguns, standing behind two captives in Afghanistan.

The pair aggressively pull back the heads of the captives who they brand as “spies” before the younger of the two starts ranting at the camera.

ISIS SLEEPER CELLS ATTACK AS BATTLE FOR MOSUL NEARS END

They then point their guns at the back of their prisoner’s heads and carry out the killing.

Children who are brainwashed with ISIS ideologies and trained to fight and kill for the group are known as “cubs of the caliphate”.

This is not the first time children have appeared on ISIS video’s carrying out executions.

More stories from The Sun

In January shocking footage was released by the terror group which showed child recruits beheading and shooting three men.

The young children, who look to be at toddler age and around 10 years old, are filmed wearing camouflage army style uniforms while brutally killing their victims in Deir ez-Zor, Syria.

One extremely young boy is filmed shakily clutching a gun and shooting a man in the head, as another brandishes a large knife before savagely cutting a man’s throat.

The story first appeared in The Sun.



Source link

1498566750657.jpg

'Duck' star followed by 3 men


Sadie Robertson said she was followed by three men in a white van.

The reality star shared the scary encounter on Instagram, revealing she had been followed by three men while she was at the mall and when she went to her car in the parking lot, they were waiting for her.

She does not reveal the rest of the encounter but she thanked God for keeping her safe and sent a message of encouragement to her fans to “not be afraid” in similar situations.

“Tonight was a very frightening night,” Robertson wrote Monday night. “I walked out into the parking garage and saw a white van parked beside my car with 3 men that had been previously been following me in the mall.”

She added, “You hear this story all the time… I won’t go into the details of mine.”

The 20-year-old said the encounter made her remember that “even though we serve a GOOD God…scary things can happen at anytime, because until the day Jesus comes back evil will still be in the world.”

Despite the scary ordeal, she is “thankful to be able to have joy knowing I’m protected in the shadow of [God’s] wing.”

She also encouraged her fans to be aware of their surroundings.

“I’m praying for bravery over every person who encounters a situation like the one I did tonight,” she concluded.

You can find Sasha Savitsky on Twitter @SashaFB.



Source link

1498574295180.jpg

Laid off over politics?


Former ESPN host Britt McHenry hinted in a since-deleted tweet she was laid off by the network over her conservative politics.

“I mean I’ve been openly Conservative…look how that ended up,” she tweeted Monday in reply to a tweet that claimed ESPN was leaning left.

McHenry was just one of around 100 employees the network let go in April. ESPN declined to comment on McHenry’s now-deleted tweet.

She seemed to address the accusation again on social media later Monday writing, “Need to take my opinions & truth to a place & blog that actually gets money for the clicks. I replied to a friend. Take it easy, Twitter.”

ESPN CUTS ABOUT 100 EMPLOYEES, INCLUDING ON-AIR TALENT

It’s not the first time the TV host has made headlines for going viral.

 

She was criticized in 2015 when a video made the rounds that showed her berating a towing employee in a profane rant during which she slammed the clerk’s appearance and intelligence.

In the video she told the towing attendant, “lose some weight, baby girl.”

McHenry apologized for the incident on Twitter and was suspended by ESPN for a week following the backlash.

A source with knowledge of the situation told Fox News McHenry’s years-old video had nothing to do with the decision to cut from the network as part of the layoffs that included on-air talent like Danny Kanell and Ed Werder.

The source explained McHenry had “dealt with [the backlash] at the time” from the towing video.

“This was two years later,” the source added of McHenry’s time at ESPN coming to an end.

On April 26, ESPN cut around 100 employees, citing a new strategy at the network that plans to increase focus on the ESPN App with a “multi-screen approach around big events” and boost the network’s online presence.

ESPN President John Skipper noted at the time, “Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent—anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play—necessary to meet those demands.”

McHenry was laid off along with well-known ESPN faces like Len Elmore, Jayson Stark, Trent Dilfer and Brett McMurphy.



Source link