A house fire early Sunday morning killed a three year old and left a young couple and their seven month old baby without a home.

The fire in the southern New Mexico town Las Cruces started around two in the morning. A couple in their early twenties were in the home with their three year old son and seven month old daughter. The family told KFOX the fire started when they were asleep. They said the son woke up his father from another room to tell him there was a fire.


The couple was able to escape through their bedroom window with the daughter but could not get to their son. The boy’s father, who wished to remain anonymous, told KFOX he tried to get his son out of the house through another window. 

While the father tried to save his son, the mother, Helen Huckabay, ran down the street to get help from her brother Chris. He ran to the home and also tried rescuing the child but couldn’t.


“As I was punching the window, just black smoke was engulfing my face so I tried to go around to the front door. I thought I’d have a better chance there but there was actually more fire,” Chris Huckabay told KFOX.

Firefighters arrived a few minutes later and made their way inside the manufactured home. They found the young boy unresponsive and he was pronounced dead shortly after.

The firefighters put out the fire but the home is totaled. The family said they lost everything. Another uncle also wishes he could have done more.

“If I had to I would have ran inside the house. I don’t care I wanted to save my little nephew,” said Michael Huckabay.

Two family members were treated for minor injuries but were okay; no other injuries were reported. Investigators are still trying to determine the cause of the fire.

The family is getting help from the Red Cross, who is accepting food, clothes and other items.

Click for more from KFOX.

Ray Bogan is a Fox News multimedia reporter based in El Paso, Texas. Follow him on twitter: @RayBogan


Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply