r960-349197e0f90218936d52eafd223dc020.jpg


President Trump’s choice for secretary of the Navy has withdrawn his name from consideration, the Pentagon confirmed Sunday.

Philip Bilden, an international financier, withdrew his name from consideration on Sunday due to his complicated financial situation. In a staement, Bilden said his extensive holdings in Hong Kong wouldn’t live up to government ethics standards.

“I informed Secretary of Defense Mattis with regret that I respectfully withdraw from consideration as Nominee for the 76th Secretary of the Navy,” he said. “I fully support the President’s agenda and the Secretary’s leadership to modernize and rebuild our Navy and Marine Corps, and I will continue to support their efforts outside of the Department of the Navy.”

“However, after an extensive review process, I have determined that I will not be able to satisfy the Office of Government Ethics requirements without undue disruption and materially adverse divestment of my family’s private financial interests.”

Bilden was nominated to serve as secretary of the Navy on Jan. 25. He formerly served as an intelligence officer in the Army Reserves from 1986 to 1996, according to USNI News.

One of Bilden’s sons graduated from the Naval Academy and another is currently attending school there, USNI News reported. He’s was on the board of directors of the United States Naval Academy Foundation and the Naval War College Foundation’s board of trustees.

Secretary of Defense James Mattis said he understands Bilden’s decision and expects a new nominee in the coming days.

“This was a personal decision driven by privacy concerns and significant challenges he faced in separating himself from his business interests. While I am disappointed, I understand and his respect his decision, and know that he will continue to support our nation in other ways,” Mattis said.

“In the coming days I will make a recommendation to President Trump for a leader who can guide our Navy and Marine Corps team as we execute the president’s vision to rebuild our military.”

California to consider going rogue with state single-payer system

Also from the Washington Examiner

“More than ever we know that universal healthcare is popular” in California, says bill’s author

02/26/17 4:48 PM

Reports indicated former congressman Randy Forbes may be next in line for the post.

Last week, CBS reported Bilden was close to withdrawing his name from consideration. White House press secretary Sean Spicer contradicted that reporting on Twitter, claiming he had just spoken to Bilden and he was looking forward to serving as secretary.

It’s the second time a Trump pick to lead one of the branches of the military has had to withdraw his name due to complicated finances.

Vincent Viola was Trump’s initial pick to be secretary of the Army but withdrew over concerns about his complicated financial holdings and if he could clear government ethics standards.

Trump promises to discuss healthcare with governors

Also from the Washington Examiner

“Big dinner with Governors tonight at White House. Much to be discussed, including healthcare.”

02/26/17 4:13 PM



Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply