r960-36dddb9e8b98ed032b58a37d67b62f8e.jpg


Margaret Sullivan, columnist for the Washington Post and former public editor for the New York Times, said journalists shouldn’t attend this year’s annual White House Correspondents’ Association dinner.

In a column published Sunday afternoon, Sullivan said the dinner is already “embarrassing and ridiculous” for reporters, but the Trump administration presents new issues for the group.

“For journalists to make nice with an administration that has trashed and blacklisted them conjures the abused wife who sends the cops packing, puts a little extra makeup over her bruises and hopes things will get better soon,” she wrote.

Sullivan said the dinner should be canceled.

The dinner, hosted each year in Washington by the White House Correspondents’ Association, is usually attended by a mix of high-ranking government officials, well-known journalists and the president.

In recent years, the week of the event has been populated with dozens of parties thrown by news outlets and other businesses promoting their brands.

Some within the media have said the dinner projects an image of an unseemly coziness between reporters and the government officials they’re supposed to hold accountable.

Vanity Fair and New Yorker magazines both said last week that they would not host the corresponding parties they usually do this year.

Pence: Trump's praise for Russia aimed at building anti-ISIS coalition

Also from the Washington Examiner

He said more help is needed to fight the Islamic State.

02/06/17 8:22 AM

Justice Department demolishes the case against Trump's order

Top Story

James Robart, the U.S. district judge in Washington State, offered little explanation for his decision to stop President Trump’s executive order temporarily suspending non-American entry from seven terror-plagued countries. Robart simply declared his belief that Washington State, which in its lawsuit against Trump argued that the order is both illegal and unconstitutional, would likely win the case when it is tried.

Now the government has answered Robart, and unlike the judge, Justice Department lawyers have produced a point-by-point demolition of Washington State’s claims.

02/05/17 7:31 PM



Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply