r960-a38d48be7883e0c3305bd1c9d0dc7ef3.jpg


Nancy Gibbs, editor in chief of Time magazine, is standing by her reporter who wrongly reported last week that a bust of Martin Luther King, Jr., had been removed from view in the Oval Office, hours after President Trump was sworn in.

In an editor’s note online, Gibbs said that the mistake, made by White House reporter Zeke Miller on Friday, was an honest one and that Miller was quick to correct it.

“No news organization ever wants to make an error, but we all have procedures for handling them when we do,” she said. “Zeke moved quickly to correct the record, and we stand behind him for taking responsibility for the mistake. He and our other reporters will continue to cover the new administration thoroughly, fairly and fearlessly.”

At the time of the incident, Miller was on pool reporting duty for the rest of the White House press corps. One of his reports, disseminated to countless journalists who base their own writing on the pool reports, said the King bust “was no longer on display.”

The misinformation was passed around on social media and in news reports, feeding into a narrative that Trump is racially insensitive.

In the Time editor’s note, Gibbs said Miller worked quickly to confirm what he believed he saw and a White House aide alerted him of the error. The bust was “apparently obscured by a door and an agent earlier,” Miller said in a correction.

During the first White House press conference in the Trump administration on Monday, spokesman Sean Spicer recalled the incident and used it as evidence of what he said was the national media’s bias against the new administration.

Spicer also said that Miller did not apologize to Trump for the error, which Gibbs, in her note, disputed.

Miller is a well-known reporter in Washington and previously worked for BuzzFeed, another publication Trump’s team has disparaged for its coverage.

White House asks public to let Barron Trump 'grow up outside of the political spotlight'

Also from the Washington Examiner

The White House issued a statement Tuesday asking the public to allow President Trump’s 10-year-old son, Barron, “to grow up outside of the political spotlight,” saying that’s a tradition that has been afforded to past first families.

“It is a longstanding tradition that the children of presidents are afforded the opportunity to grow up outside of the political spotlight,” read a statement from the press secretary’s office. “The White House fully expects this tradition to continue. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.”

The statement comes after Saturday Night Live suspended a writer this week who joked that Barron Trump would grow up to be the “country’s first homeschool shooter.

01/24/17 4:06 PM

Senior Secret Service agent suggests she wouldn't take 'a bullet' for Trump

Top Story

Agent in charge of the Service’s Denver office made numerous social media posts hostile to Trump.

01/24/17 12:58 PM



Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply