r960-2afebaabb45bf5643eb21efa6d6983f3.jpg


An official told CNN that the Obama administration failed to convince the U.S. to veto the planned vote. (AP Photo/Ariel Schalit)

The Israeli government reached out to President-elect Trump before a United Nations Security Council vote Thursday condemning the construction of Israeli settlements, according to a report.

The vote was later scrapped by Egyptian officials after Trump put out a statement calling on the council to veto the resolution.

Israel made contact with Trump’s team in order to get support in opposing the resolution, an Israeli official told CNN. The official said his country had “no choice” after overtures to the Obama White House failed to convince the U.S. to veto the planned vote. Israeli settlement construction drew condemnation from the State Department earlier this year.

“We did reach out to the president-elect and are deeply appreciative that he weighed in, which was not a simple thing to do,” the official said.

Newsrooms are sanitizing that Ivanka Trump harassment story

Top Story

Coverage of the incident had centered almost entirely on Lasner’s say-so.

12/22/16 4:13 PM

Subscribe to Alerts

Learn more about Washington Examiner’s Alerts

Loading Next Article



Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply