r960-9c0e95beaa53d1fe714a3416c32777db.jpg


The Obama administration on Thursday requested an additional $11.6 billion to fund operations overseas in a letter sent Thursday to the House.

The supplemental funding request would provide an additional $5.8 billion to the Pentagon in fiscal 2017 for operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. It would also provide $5.8 billion more to the State Department and U.S. Agency for International Development to fight the Islamic State and provide humanitarian assistance to those in areas liberated from Islamic State control.

This brings the administration’s total overseas contingency operations account request for both the Pentagon and State Department to $85.3 billion for fiscal 2017.

Defense Secretary Ash Carter praised the supplemental request and urged Congress to pass it, saying that it would “sustain that positive momentum” as forces fight to retake Mosul in Iraq and Raqqah in Syria. He also said the additional aid to the State Department will ensure areas liberated from terrorist control can establish some sense of stability.

“This is a balanced package that also supports critical State Department and USAID efforts to boost national security. As we’ve shown results on the battlefield, we need to support the diplomatic engagement, governance and stabilization components of the counter-ISIL campaign, as well as relief and recover efforts that, together will help make sure that ISIL, once defeated, stays defeated,” Carter said.

“This is a critical moment in the campaign – a moment of both strategic opportunity and urgency. To advance our strategy and capitalize on our momentum against Daesh, we look forward to working with Congress to ensure that we have the funding for the critical civilian resources – both diplomatic and foreign assistance – that will be required to finish the mission,” Secretary of State John Kerry said.

Lawmakers have been asking the administration to send over a supplemental funding request ever since President Obama announced a slowing of the drawdown in Afghanistan earlier this year. Keeping more troops in action comes with a cost, and the administration’s funding request reflects its assessment of those costs.

“While these amendments focus on funding our overseas national security efforts, our efforts here at home are equally important to fighting terrorism and protecting the American people,” Obama wrote in the letter. “For this reason, I urge the Congress to fully fund not only the international security needs outlined in this request, but also the domestic security programs included in the FY 2017 budget.”

But Rep. Mac Thornberry, R-Texas, and chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, said the request does still not include enough money to fully fund the Department of Defense.

Three bold Supreme Court moves for Trump, GOP

Also from the Washington Examiner

Three other ways Republicans and Trump could turn the table on Democrats.

11/11/16 7:00 AM

“While we will review the request carefully, the amount still does not accommodate the increased pace of operations against ISIL and does nothing to begin addressing the readiness crisis. It is time to put politics aside and provide our men and women in uniform the resources actually required, not just what is politically expedient,” Thornberry said.

There are currently 9,800 U.S. troops in Afghanistan, which was supposed to fall to 5,500 by the end of this year. Obama revised that number to 8,400, which will allow the U.S. to keep up both its training and counterterrorism missions there, but also requires additional funding. Obama also announced more American troops would be sent to Iraq to fight the Islamic State.

The administration originally requested $58.6 billion for the Pentagon’s OCO account to pay for overseas operations. The Senate-passed defense authorization bill funds the war account at this level, while the House-passed approach takes $18 billion from the war chest to fund base priorities and buy back readiness. That leaves only $36 billion in the overseas contingency operations account, meaning funding will run out in March and force the next administration to submit another budget request.

It’s unclear which funding tactic will prevail in the compromise final bill.

The administration’s initial request for the State Department’s overseas contingency operations funding was $14.9 billion.

Conservative groups poised to lose power under Trump

Also from the Washington Examiner

Conservative groups are poised to lose power in Washington with the arrival of President-elect Donald Trump.

11/11/16 12:01 AM

Five things Trump could do to change Obamacare right away

Top Story

There’s a laundry list of things President-elect Donald Trump could do on his own to modify the Affordable Care Act, even if Congress gets hung up on exactly how to repeal and replace it.

While the Affordable Care Act is a lengthy piece of legislation, the Obama administration issued many more pages of regulations and guidance explaining exactly how it should be implemented. The new administration, under the direction of Trump, could amend or get rid of those directives as soon as it’s in place next year, and thus significantly alter the law without having to wait for Congress.

Additionally, the Department of Justice is involved in several ongoing disputes involving the healthcare law and some of the payments it lays out for

11/11/16 12:01 AM



Source link

About the Author:

Leave a Reply